Ciclesonide is an inhaled corticosteroid used in the management of asthma. Ciclesonide is hypothesized to be helpful in the inflammation associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection, and it also may possess antiviral activity against SARS-CoV-2 in vitro. There are case reports suggesting that ciclesonide may inhibit proliferation of the virus and prevent progression to severe pneumonia when administered in the early or middle stages of infection.
There is insufficient evidence to support use of Ciclesonide for treatment of patients infected with SARS-CoV-2.
|= Supporting use article||= Neutral Article||= Contradicting use article|
Observational SARS CoV-2
- Iwabuchi K., Yoshie K., Kurakami Y., Takahashi K., Kato Y., Morishima T. Therapeutic potential of ciclesonide inhalation for COVID-19 pneumonia: report of three cases. J Infect Chemother. 2020.
- Baba H, Kanamori H, Oshima K, Seike I, Niitsuma-Sugaya I, Takei K, Sato Y, Tokuda K, Aoyagi T. Prolonged presence of SARS-CoV-2 in a COVID-19 case with rheumatoid arthritis taking iguratimod treated with ciclesonide. J Infect Chemother. 2020 Oct;26(10):1100-1103.
- Nakajima K, Ogawa F, Sakai K, Uchiyama M, Oyama Y, Kato H, Takeuchi I. A Case of Coronavirus Disease 2019 Treated With Ciclesonide. Mayo Clin Proc. 2020 Jun;95(6):1296-1297.
In Vitro SARS CoV-1/2
- Matsuyama S., Kawase M., Nao N., et al. The inhaled corticosteroid ciclesonide blocks coronavirus RNA replication by targeting viral NSP15. bioRxiv. 2020.
- Kimura H, Kurusu H, Sada M, Kurai D, Murakami K, Kamitani W, Tomita H, Katayama K, Ryo A. Molecular pharmacology of ciclesonide against SARS-CoV-2. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2020 Aug;146(2):330-331
- Jeon S., Ko M., Lee J., et al. Identification of antiviral drug candidates against SARS-CoV-2 from FDA-approved drugs. bioRxiv. 2020.
- Ko M., Chang S.Y., Byun S.Y., et al. Screening of FDA-approved drugs using a MERS-CoV clinical isolate from South Korea identifies potential therapeutic options for COVID-19. bioRxiv. 2020.